In the year 1933, on 13 January, Pope Pius XI bestowed on the Academic Institute of Sant’Anselmo the title of “Pontifical”. With a decree dated 21 April 1934, the Sacred Congregation for Seminaries and University of Studies approved the Statutes of the Pontifical Anselmian Athenaeum and prescribed that they be observed. Subsequently the same Sacred Congregation on 21 March 1952 approved the pertinent Monastic Institute of the Faculty of Theology, which now takes care, first of all, of the monastic specialization, seen in historical and theological frameworks. This specialization belongs to the second cycle of the Faculty of Theology of the Faculty of Theology.
Finally, at the Pontifical Anselmian Athenaeum, the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy was established, with the decree of the Sacred Congregation for Seminaries and the University of Studies promulgated on 17 June 1961 “for the instruction of both the masters of liturgical disciplines and the Directors of the Liturgical Commissions of the individual dioceses”. In the same year, on 17 June, the Statutes of the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy were approved by the same Sacred Congregation. On 14 May 1973, the Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education approved for a specific time, on an experimental basis, the new statutes of the Pontifical Institute, together with the instruction of “some norms” of the same Congregation. With a decree promulgated on 23 August 1978, the Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education recognized the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy as the Faculty of Sacred Liturgy.
The new Statutes of the University were first drafted, according to the Instruction of “some norms” in the year 1970, and approved for a determined time, on an experimental basis, by the Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education on 14 May 1973. Promulgated in 1979 by the Apostolic Constitution Sapientia Christiana, the Statutes were again reviewed and approved experimentally for a three-year period on 2 April 1982, by the same Congregation.